4.07.2014

Copenhagen

Location: Copenhagen, Denmark              Dates of trip: December 6-9                    Traveler: Rachel

In early December, our school had a three-day weekend for ¨La ConstituciĆ³n¨. Devin was in the States for work at this point, so I took a trip with some girl friends! In usual fashion for December travel, we were seeking out fun Christmas Markets. Christmas markets were one of the biggest reasons I originally wanted to live in Europe. During my semester studying abroad in Germany, I fell in love with festivity and coziness of Christmas markets, and knew that I wanted them to be a part of every Christmas for the rest of my life. :) I had heard all good things about Copenhagen, and they were supposed to have really good Christmas Markets, so two friends and I headed there!


We didn't really consider how far north we were going, and forgot to consider that the length of daylight would be shorter up there. Our flight landed at 3:30... just as the sun was setting! We couldn't believe how early it got dark, but we tried to make the most of the days anyway. Being Barcelona girls spoiled by 60 degrees in December, we knew we would be in for the shock of the cold. We all wore multiple layers every time we stepped outside, so we were prepared to face it (hence why I look like a marshmallow in every picture!)

The city has a beautiful, nordic feel. I am sure it is gorgeous in the summer, but in December, it is definitely a place to admire from indoors, sipping hot beverages (I drank my fair share of chai while there.) Everything was cozy, and given the season and temperature, we were driven inside most of the time. We hit the hot spots - the famous commune - Christiana, the picturesque port - Nyhavn, and the famous theme park/Christmas market - Tivoli Gardens. We also enjoyed leisurely wandering up and down their pedestrian shopping street, which happens to be the longest one in Europe. The last day we were there, it was pouring rain, so we took a boat cruise throughout the canals and to go see the famous little mermaid statue.









The short days really confused our bodies, and we found ourselves being tired much earlier than normal. This provided for a more restful weekend than we expected, but none of us minded going to bed early! Copenhagen is beautiful, and I would love to experience it during a time of year that I could be outside more, but it was a wonderful place to have a Christmassy, wintery weekend.


-----

Where is the most beautiful place you have been at Christmas time? What are your favorite things to do while traveling to a cold place?

1 comment:

  1. I found that if I correct my comment then I can no longer make a comment. That being said, I enjoyed your fall pics on the last blog- beautiful colors. This most likely wasn't as cold as our Chicago Christmas market experience! Where we ended up buying winter boots so we could endure the cold. :)

    ReplyDelete