7.06.2014

Paris -Take Two (and three)

                                                                                                                                       (Author: Rachel)

Paris - the city of love, many's dream vacation destination, the holder of a great icon of Europe! 

Most people hold these stereotypes of the city, but I begged to differ. At first.

The first time I went, I was 16...with a choir tour, got lost, didn't know how to read maps, had blisters on my feet from walking all day in choir shoes, and encountered some not-so-helpful French people. Needless to say, it left a bad taste in my mouth. For years afterwards, I claimed that I had no desire to return to the city, that it was overrated, and I really didn't see the big appeal. 

When I moved to Barcelona, I began to be more curious about the city. I met multiple people that were from there, and began to sense that my first experience was not the most accurate. Slowly but surely, I began to be convinced that I should give this iconic city a chance to redeem itself. 

So in the Fall of my first year here (November of 2012), I visited again! We had a four-day holiday weekend, and so my roommates and I headed there. My sister, Sarah, also flew in from Switzerland to spend the weekend together. It was definitely a completely different experience. Having good travel companions along with simply being a more seasoned traveler made a huge difference! Having four days there instead of three hours of "free time" ALSO made a difference. This time, I was able to see the Sacre Couer (now one of my favorite places in the world!), the famous flea market, rent bikes, go to an underground wine bar... that trip really changed my perspective of Paris.

It's hard not to love this view


Traveling with these girls is never short of fun.

Authentic Parisian sisters



And yet....I had never gone with the one I love! Isn't that the whole point of Paris?! So... I knew another trip was in store!

The opportunity presented itself to go to celebrate my sister's fiance's birthday in April, and we knew it was a good idea! It would be Sarah and I's second time in Paris together, and Devin's first time. I also really wanted to see Paris in the Spring, as it was quite chilly and rainy when we were there in November. It would only be a normal weekend, flying in on a Friday night, and out on a Sunday afternoon, but we knew it was still worth it!

This trip was even more magical. Eating apples and cheese on the lawn of the Eiffel Tower... being able to kiss my love under the Eiffel tower... eating gluten-free crepes... riding bikes along the river in a tank top... seeing flowers in full bloom in front of the Notre Dame... and admiring all the leaves filling the trees... I'm telling you - the city really is incredible. At the right time, with the right people, it is as dreamy as it sounds.











If you haven't been to Paris, I DO suggest going, but suggest taking it slow, admiring the details on the buildings, the colors, the trees, the "vibe"...and most importantly, do not go with a group of 16-year olds. :)

Our new dream is to spend a whole summer in Paris, diving in more, understanding our surroundings, and exploring more leisurely... some day!

---- 

Have you been to Paris? Did you think it lived up to it's expectation? More? Less? Is there any place you've been that you had high expectations for but were let down? We'd love to know your experiences!


2 comments:

  1. Going there in a week! Thanks for the tips and added excitement to get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. My first trip to Paris was when I was in college and I did not fall in love with the city. I wouldn't have cared to go back, but we did last summer at Luke's request. The city had a whole different feel this time and I loved it. It could have something to do with them getting rid of a bunch of pigeons (they used to be allllll over), but yes--I want to go back again and spend more time.

    ReplyDelete