10.08.2014

Happy School Year!

The school year is full swing here!                                                         (Author: Rachel)

We got back from Ireland on August 24th, and I went right back to work on the 25th. I had one week to set up my classroom and get started on organization and lesson planning for the year. I always have high hopes of accomplishing so much during this week, but things always seem to take longer than I anticipate. I spent multiple night at school until 8 or 9 pm.

One of the challenges of teaching in this city is the lack of ¨teacher stores¨. There are not really even large craft stores like Hobby Lobby where you can find everything cheap. I am always at a loss when I want supplies for my room that are creative or colorful. It is hard to even have much a vision for classroom set up, because I don't know where to get anything! Thankfully, my friend Nicole saved the day by showing me large stores outside the city that had many of these things and helped me envision and execute the new plan for my classroom design! Thanks to her creativity and her knowledge of what's available, we were able to turn my empty, white, lifeless classroom into a colorful, happy place, hopefully set up for lots of learning!

Nicole and Devin both put in long hours helping me hang, cut, stick, draw... and bit by bit, make my classroom someplace that both my students and I enjoy being (afterall, I spend way more time here than I do at home!).

Some of you have asked what my job environment is like, so I thought I would show you where I spend most of my time!

Welcome to Ms. Rachel's music room!
My door opens to the outdoors
Back wall when you enter. The back of my piano doubles as the setting of "Music Street"


My desk space



Unpitched percussion instruments
Our word wall
May many musicians be made inside these walls! Hoping for a great school year!

No comments:

Post a Comment