3.09.2017

Home for the Fall

Logistics are a tricky thing. For Devin and I, it's never been easy to figure out balancing time between our different homes, friends scattered around the world, different work demands, etc. Often what makes the most sense requires us to sacrifice in another way. This was the case in the Fall. While Devin was building his business up in Oregon, my teaching license had not yet converted, meaning that I could not begin work there yet. Since I did not want to sit around without work, it made the most sense for me to spend the month of September in Iowa, where I could still substitute teach. 
Although this meant we would be apart again, it also meant that I got to have the unique experience of "living" in Iowa City for a short while, which is something I will never complain about! 

We kicked off the fall by heading to an ISU game in Ames. Although my family members are diehard Cyclone fans, I have somehow gone my entire life without actually attending a football game! This Fall that changed when my dad's ISU team had a reunion at the first game of the season. We all got to go and cheer him on as they were acknowledged on the field. This was also my first experience with tailgating, which I immediately decided was the most fun thing that Americans do! How had I never tailgated before?! I learned so much about this unique aspect of American culture and loved cheering on the Cyclones from the front row of the stadium!




The next week, we cheered just as loudly from the Cyclone cave in our basement!

The same weekend that we went to the Iowa State game, we held a wedding shower for Aaron's (then) fiance, Kirsten. I was so happy to get to be involved with the wedding process and take part in planning the shower. This was a great example of a family occasion that I've become so used to missing, but was so happy to finally get to be present! It was tons of fun spending a morning with my aunts, cousins, and grandma celebrating the Bride-to-be!





One of the highlights of the month was getting to complete my Body Pump training. I have always wanted to be certified to teach at least one Les Mills class, but have always had some reason why I couldn't do the training yet. All things lined up to do it in Coralville, and I came away with even more passion for the life-changing work of Les Mills! I am so excited to have joined the tribe!


Throughout September, I stayed quite busy as I was starting my Graduate classes, subbing in the Iowa City district every day, and memorizing my Body Pump release to complete my taping before moving. At the end of the month, Devin joined us in the Midwest in time for the most-anticipated event of the Fall, Aaron's wedding!

The wedding was truly remarkable, reflecting the FUN, thoughtful and relaxed couple! We loved getting to work behind the scenes and watching it all come together. The weekend was perfect, and being together as a whole family, though short, was indeed so sweet. We were quite sad when the weekend was over!





As is tradition, the siblings met for pre-wedding coffee before the big day got going!



When we had wrapped up the wedding, we had one final week before beginning our drive to Oregon. We spent our last weekend with my parents visiting some bike trails. As kids, our family went to Lanesboro, Minnesota every Fall to bike along the Root River trail. It had been about 15 years since we had last been, and returning brought back many fond memories! The trail was full of turning trees, flowing streams, and small-town charm.






I am so thankful that I had this time in Iowa. It was a priority to me to allow myself to take it slowly and enjoy my home and family before making another big transition. The Fall has always been my favorite time of year, and getting to be in Iowa for a month of it was the perfect way to fill my soul before starting over in a new place once again.








No comments:

Post a Comment